GE has secured an order from the engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) consortium of Posco Engineering & Construction Co. Ltd. (POSCO), Mitsubishi Corporation and PEC Powercon Sdn. Bhd. to provide power generation equipment for the 1,200 megawatts (MW) Pulau Indah Power Plant, in Selangor, Malaysia. The plant will be powered by GE’s highly efficient HA technology and it will consist of a two-block combined cycle power plant, featuring a total plant configuration that is modular and cost-effective to install, control and maintain. Additionally, for the Pulau Indah Power Plant project, GE will provide a full spectrum of services solutions for 21 years.
For the Pulau Indah Power Plant, GE will provide two blocks of 600 megawatts (MW), each including a GE 9HA.01 gas turbine, an STF-D650 steam turbine, a W88 generator and a Once Through Heat Recovery Steam Generator (OT HRSG). GE’s OT HRSG technology is a key enabler in advanced water-steam cycles delivering higher combined cycle efficiency, while GE’s 9HA is the company’s flagship and most efficient 50 Hz gas turbine. The natural gas-fired Pulau Indah Power Plant is targeted to achieve commercial operations in 2024.
“Malaysia, particularly the state of Selangor, has seen massive economic development, urbanisation and population growth in the last three decades, which have been major drivers for its increasing demand for energy, although accompanied by increasing greenhouse gas emissions. It was crucial for us to select a highly efficient technology, like GE’s 9HA.01, to help reduce the amount of fuel used to generate electricity, and working with GE to provide services and cost-effective performance improvements on the power generation equipment will help us achieve our goals” said Datin Paduka Norazlina Zakaria, Executive Director of Pulau Indah Power Plant Sdn. Bhd. (PIPP).
In its effort to reduce greenhouse gases under the Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC) Plan, Malaysia seeks to achieve a 45% CO2 emissions reduction target by 2030 across key industries including power generation. Given the challenge of growing economies to reduce emissions, the availability of viable lower carbon technology has become a critical focus. Under the plan, improving electricity generation efficiency in thermal power plants supports the country’s emission reduction goals.
“We are proud to be a part of this exciting project. We bring more than 80 years of equipment production for gas power plants to Pulau Indah Power Plant project” said Ramesh Singaram, President and CEO of GE Gas Power Asia. “The 9HA gas turbine at its core was engineered from the ground up to be extremely efficient and flexible to help lower emissions. This includes high ramp rates and fast start-up times to meet fluctuating demand, and the capability to burn up to 50% by volume of hydrogen when blended with natural gas. We see continued efficiency gains in the years to come.”
“With the Pulau Indah Power Plant, we looked across the industry seeking equipment that met strict standards that included proven technology, plant performance, maintainability, operational flexibility, environmental impacts, ‘foot-print’, lifecycle costs and more, and we chose GE’s combined-cycle plant technology,” said Mr Dae-Gyun Kim, Project Director of POSCO. “In addition, we appreciated GE’s innovative 600 MW block-size plant, engineered to give plant operators a total plant configuration that is simple and cost-effective to install, control and maintain. We are confident that the standard configuration packages and plant modularization will help a faster project execution”.
For the project, GE signed a 21-year services agreement with PIPP, a Special Purpose Vehicle led by two prominent shareholders namely Worldwide Holdings Berhad and Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO). Worldwide Holdings Berhad, being the Selangor state-linked company holds 75% shareholding of PIPP, while KEPCO, the largest electric utility company in South Korea, holds the remaining 25%.
The planned maintenance work will include capital parts, major inspections on the 9HA.01 gas turbines, along with technical advisory services, and repairs. Overall plant performance will be monitored and enhanced with GE’s integrated Mark VIe Distributed Control System (DCS) to help us improve asset visibility, reliability, and availability while reducing operating and maintenance costs. Mark Vle is utilized system-wide for programming, configuration, trending, and analyzing diagnostics. It provides a single source of quality, time-coherent data at the controller and plant level to help plant operators understand and adjust how their plant is operating in real-time. In addition, data collected from sensors throughout the facility will be monitored and analyzed 24/7 at GE’s Monitoring & Diagnostics (M&D) Center in Atlanta, GA, United States.
Image source: Courtesy of GE
Read more Power news here